Thursday, May 27, 2010

If You Don't Know Me By Now

You know what's really embarrassing? When you remember someone from high school or camp or something like that and you're excited to see them, but they don't have a clue who you are (even when you give them your name). They were important enough in some aspect of your life that you would actually say hello, but they think so little of you that they have eliminated your existence in their memory. And that's one of the many reasons I avoid everyone I've ever known unless we've spoken in the past year. It's like a self-induced isolation. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Because I've been burned too many times by that, "Taylor who? I'm sorry, I just don't remember you."

I would hope that no one has such a bad opinion of me that they do this on purpose, but I can't rule it out. And I always seem to jump to that conclusion. They say, "I'm having trouble remembering how I know you," and I think, "Okay, so that's how it's gonna be. Fine. I don't know you either, jerk." And my favorite websites do it too. I go to login to my gmail account and it asks me if I want it to remember me. Uh, yeah I do. I thought we were friends, Google! Why do I have to remind you to remember me? Google should know it's me. We've been gmailing and blogging and searching for years! That really hurts, Google. Don't act like we're not close. I'm sorry if I embarrass you, but you should be proud of who your friends are, dude. Not cool, man. Not cool.

Although I must admit, it's really fun to pretend you know someone that you don't know. Strangers are so gullible. They'll go from 100% convinced they've never seen you before in their life to politely running through different places they might have met you to fitting you into some fuzzy memory to avoid hurting your feelings. Those are nice people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just got shunned by Google today too. :(