Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bloggin' Won't Pay The Bills

Like the other thousands of people in this country, I have joined the ranks of the unemployed.  I was given my notice today and my last day at work is a week from this Friday.  And I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it.  I mean, it's nothing personal.  My soon-to-be former employer is not doing so well as a company, and the task I've been assigned to for two years is wrapping up.  So it's not an issue of my performance, and it's not a huge shock.  But it's definitely scary.  And very nerve-racking.

When they called me in, I had to sit in a chair in a hallway.  And it only faced a wall.  So it felt like I was being sent to the principal's office.  I really think they should redesign the H.R. department here.  That doesn't make any sense to make people feel like they're in trouble when they're obviously there so you can lay them off.

I think the one thing I'm feeling most is frustration.  I know I do a good job, and I know there's nothing I could have done to change it.  But, that's a very helpless feeling.  (And no offense to my coworkers, but there's one really dumb girl who is still in our department.  And that's only because she's on a more secure project at the moment.  That kinda sucks.)

Anyway, I'm in pre-panic mode right now and I'm calling on my internet friends to help me if you can.  I'm willing to move (preferably not out of Texas), and I'm trainable.  If you know of something, please email me at myolderbrothers@gmail.com.  It forwards to my personal email and I can respond to you there with my resume and stuff.

5 comments:

lindalou said...

I hope something comes up quickly for you. I don't know if anything jobwise. Heck, I live in Michigan. We are one of the worst hit states.

I will keep you in my thoughts and send some job power your way.

Keep writing though...cause you are really good at it.

ilovebabyquilts said...

I'm sure its not news to you, but the State has tons of openings all over the state and is a very secure job. I work for TPWD in Austin. Just go to the state website and keep checking!

Alex Getts — Art & Illustration said...

That sucks. Good luck!

Jenny Murff said...

Check different city websites. I know Baytown has opening posted on theirs. Not sure if it's anything you're looking for or not.
Baytown.org

Meghan Chaney said...

So sorry to hear about the job loss. I'll be sending thoughts and prayers your way! The Austin job market is in pretty decent shape.