Friday, November 5, 2010

Spiders And Roller Skates

My older brother knows all of my weaknesses.  He knows I can't dribble with my left hand in basketball.  He knows I can't resist free donuts.  He keeps a thought bank of anything he can use against me.  So two things I've been careful not to tell him are what I'm truly afraid of and what songs get stuck in my head easily.

Well I accidentally told him a few years ago about my crippling fear of spiders.  So now he goes out of his way to point them out to me.  And it's not just that.  He also successfully tricks me into believing they're on my clothes all the time.  And he never fails because he knows I won't take the chance that he's kidding.  So all he has to say is, "Taylor, don't move.  There's a spider on your knee."  And he knows I'll go into a frenzied quickstep that includes leg-slapping and girly screams to make sure the spider doesn't stay there.

That doesn't bother me as much because I know he'll never physically pick up a spider and put it on me (although just typing that sentence gave me the chills).  But I made another mistake recently and let him overhear a conversation I was having with a friend about songs that get stuck in my head.  And I mentioned that stupid roller skate song from that HP printer commercial ("I gotta brand new pair of roller skates, you gotta brand new key!").  I don't even hate the song.  But once I hear it, it stays in my head for days on end.

So my older brother has been calling me and singing that line from the song and then hanging up.  And he's figured out how to leave voicemails for me without calling.  So I get a voicemail that doesn't accompany a missed call and when I check it, I hear the song again.  I can't get away from it.  And I keep substituting words into the song in the context of my life ("I gotta brand new gaming headset that you're gonna have to see!" -or- "I'm gonna get some coffee and I think it's gonna make me pee!").  And now that I've written this post, I have to go find another song to get in my head.  Because this one is slowly killing me.

2 comments:

Beth said...

OH that song gets stuck in my head all. the. time! My husband thinks I like that song and the commercial but I really don't. I don't mind them, but it's not "my commercial" as he likes to say.

And thanks, now that song is stuck in my head again. ;)

Jill said...

Is your older brother in this story your wife?