Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shameful Pride

I realized last night that you can be proud of yourself and feel like a complete loser at the same time. It came to me as I was buying six boxes of cereal for four dollars. I had coupons, they had Honey Bunches of Oats (with almonds!). I couldn't pass it up. So I was proud of the deal I found, but also ashamed that I'd purchased enough cereal for a week at the Duggar* house. Pride and shame don't really seem like they'd go together. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that those two words go together a lot for me. In fact, I'm thinking they should probably go on my tombstone. Because I'm always doing really nerdy, dorky things that I am simultaneously proud of and ashamed of. Like watching all three extended editions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy in succession. (Yeah! I did it! It took me 14 hours, but I did it!... Wait... I can't believe I just sat on the couch for 14 hours.) Or like the time I saw the new Harry Potter at the first midnight showing (okay, the six times I did that). Or like the time I started a blog.

I usually end up deciding that I'm not ashamed of these kinds of things, but I keep them to myself in case other people don't think it's neat to memorize an entire Weird Al album. After all, it's better to be silent and perceived a nerd than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. (And by "remove all doubt", I mean "get beat up".)

*For those who don't know, the Duggar's have like a million kids (okay, 19 kids).

6 comments:

Abbey @ Practically Perfect said...

I just got this book series that I read as a teenager for my 25th birthday. I remember reading it up to the 9th or 10th book in high school and wanted to finish it out.

So I had to research what I remembered the series being about because I couldn't remember the name or author. Finally figured it out and found the set on ebay for about $9.00, what a deal!

...Except that I'm a 25 year old reading a high school book series from the 90s. And they weren't even that cool to read when I was in high school...

Alissa8480 said...

Abbey G. I totally want to know what your reading. Hahahaha

Unknown said...

Your post today hit very close to home for me. My embarrassingly proud moments tend to all relate to xbox achievements though...

Abbey @ Practically Perfect said...

I'm too embarassed to tell! But it's the Clearwater Crossing series by Laura Peyton Roberts

Anonymous said...

I followed you from cakewrecks and enjoy reading your blog...ANYWAYS, that's a great deal for cereal. Do you know how expensive those things are? (well okay I'm Canadian and for some reason cereal is expensive up here.) HOLY. I would've done the same darn thing.

-lisa- said...

So right about now probably wouldn't be a good time to mention that I have all my Nancy Drew books from when I was younger and I still read them? Or the fact that I just got high score on Bejeweled? Hmmm...forget I mentioned that.