Monday, October 25, 2010

Headset Humility

When I play video games online, I don't wear my headset unless I'm playing with people I know. Because there are few things more embarrassing than realizing that you're playing a 12-year old kid… and losing to him. So I only don the headset if I have friends to talk to. And because I hate spending money, I have a wired headset that attaches to my controller. I'm too cheap to spend the 40 or 50 dollars on a wireless one. Plus, I feel that purchasing video game accessories is slightly more depressing than buying video games themselves. It's one thing to buy Rock Band. It's an entirely different thing to buy a guitar case for your Rock Band guitar controller.

Using that headset has actually provided me a new weight-loss goal. Because at least three times during each of my gaming sessions, my belly falls onto the wire. And then when I move, the wire detaches from the controller. So I made a new weight-loss goal to have so little belly that I don't pull my headset wire from its port.

The saddest part about this is that I'm not the only one of my friends who does this. It's common now for me to hear a friend get interrupted by static and then come back 15 seconds later and say, "Sorry, my stomach unplugged my headset again." We don't even laugh about it anymore. It's just normal for our fat to unplug the cord.  But I guess it makes sense that my gamer friends are overweight too. I've seen the studies. It's no surprise.

The real reason I told this story is because I used a $25 Amazon Video Game credit I had to buy a wireless headset for just $18. So I can cancel that weight-loss goal now. And I can finally look like a complete geek when I play video games online.

2 comments:

Leah Hollett said...

Thanks for your post today. I literally LOL!

Jill said...

Is there *really* a difference between buying a pretend guitar and buying a case for the pretend guitar? Once you've crossed that line, does it matter how far you go?
Also, I understand so little about this "gaming" thing, that before I read too far into the post, I thought the reason you didn't want to wear your headset is because you didn't want to look like a nerd. Silly me.