Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Memory (And Cup) Loss

One of the major challenges I face in continuing to blog is that I have a notoriously bad memory.  I forget things I've heard, I forget things I've said, and I forget where I put things five minutes ago.  It's the reason I can't stay mad at anybody, it's the reason I make the same mistakes over and over again, it's the reason my wife will have gray hair, and it's the reason I can never, ever, ever find my stupid drink.

What I know I should do is put my cup down before I leave the room.  If I leave it at the table, it'll stay at the table.  But something in my brain says, "No, Taylor! What if you get thirsty as soon as you get into the hallway? Then you'll have to double back and waste precious energy!"  So I take the drink with me.  And almost without fail, I come back a few minutes later, sit in my chair, and reach for a drink that is now hiding somewhere in the house.

And for some strange reason, I put my cup in ridiculous places.  I don't just set it down on a dresser or a side table.  I put it in places that no normal human being would put a cup.  And this probably worries me more than the bad memory stuff because it seems utterly insane.  I've found my cup on book shelves, in my son's closet, in the garage (when I didn't even remember going in the garage), on the side of the bath tub, and even once in the freezer.  And inevitably I waste more time searching for the cup than I do actually drinking whatever's in it.  If I had a dollar for every time I had to retrace my route throughout the house looking for my cup, I could probably afford a drink butler to hold my drink at every meal.

2 comments:

Leah Hollett said...

Your poor memory may have something to do with what is in your cup. Not trying to get all preachy but you should watch this... http://youtu.be/ZI7_8FDzuJE

Anonymous said...

There you go, I've gone back, I've commented :) I chose this post as I remember it amusing me... But hey, we are out there reading and I genuinely think your blog is funny. I've been reading for a pretty long time as well. But now you've made me feel bad for not commenting more. Hm.