Monday, April 16, 2012

There's A Nap For That

I'm feeling very sluggish today.  So sluggish, in fact, that I'm not going to the gym after work.  I'm just gonna go home and play a game where I try to see how long I can stay awake in my recliner while the hypnotic rhythym of my slow-beating heart softly pulls me into slumber.  (Just writing that sentence almost put me to sleep just now.)

The strange reason for my sluggishness isn't a lack of sleep for once.  It's the amount of dreaming I've been doing lately.  I'm not really sure what's causing it, but I'm dreaming a lot more than usual.  And they're these vivid, interesting, energetic (and frankly exhausting) dreams.  It's hard to wake up in the morning most of the time.  And then the emotions from those dreams are difficult to shake off.  I think Christopher Nolan is making a movie about my dreams.

The result of all this dreaming is that I feel like I haven't slept for days.  Right now it's taking all of my concentration just to keep my eyes focused on the screen.  And I know it would be solved by two things: coffee or sugar.  I could easily go to the snack machine and buy a candy bar, and within 10 minutes I'd feel great.  Or I could have a cup of coffee and feel better by the time I finish it.  But neither of those things fit in with my new diet regime.  I'm trying to eliminate sugar as much as possible, and I've sworn off caffeine after lunchtime.

So here I sit.  Head bobbing slightly, eyes glazing over, and my body melting into my chair.  Maybe somebody will pull the fire alarm.  Or maybe someone will go crazy and start yelling for no reason.  Honestly, at this point, I'd take one of those "falling" sensations I used to get in English in 9th grade.  That was always a good jolt.  Or maybe I'll just close my office door and fall asleep for real.  Oh man... I shouldn't have even thought that.  Now it's definitely gonna happen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You must be waking up in the middle of your REM cycles. Try going to bed half an hour earlier or later?