Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Head Feels Fuzzy

I went to bed at 3:30 this morning. I put my kids to bed (and bribed my wife) and signed online on my Xbox 360 to play "just a couple of games." Those couple of games turned into hours of stupid decisions. I played until I couldn't really think anymore, then I fell asleep in my recliner. And now I'm exhausted. If I turn my head to the left or the right, it feels like I'm underwater. And when I blink, it feels like there's a grain of sand under each eyelid.

I don't like this development. In college, I could stay up until morning and then take a power nap before my first class. I would look up from the TV, see the sun rising and announce my victory over the night. And I would only sleep in class because it was boring, not because I needed rest. But now, everything is different. I keep laughing at stuff that isn't all that funny (like the word "post-it") and if I blink too long, I start to fall asleep. I might as well be my grandfather.

I just found out today that there's a guy in our I.T. department named Waldo. And I think that would be a cool name to have. Because no one would ever be mad if you were late. Your boss would demand, "Where's Waldo?!" and people would laugh heartily. And he'd realize what he said and start laughing too. So by the time you got there, people would just be making that joke over an over again, and no one would care that you were late. But then again, no one would ever report you missing if you were abducted. Because someone would think it was a joke.

I don't know where that last paragraph came from. I just typed it without really thinking about it. I think I need to go find an empty office and take a power nap under the desk. But not because I'm tired. Just because I'm bored.

3 comments:

lindalou said...

Thanks for the Waldo comment. You made me laugh and I'm having a Monday kind of day, even though it's Tuesday.

-lisa- said...

I hate the grainy eyelids thing. But as Lindalou mentioned....the Waldo comment was classic.

Kathleen said...

Are you a Seinfeld fan? Because your last paragraph reminded me of George.