Friday, January 15, 2010

Things I Didn't Know The Meaning Of Until Looking Them Up For This Post

Tuffet/Curds and Whey - I assumed tuffet was some sort of fuzzy hill and curds and whey was the 19th century version of Mac and Cheese. But a tuffet is a stool and curds and whey is like cottage cheese with less flavor. So much for that.

Turkish Delight - That kid in Narnia loved it. It was warm and sounded like the word "turkey," so I thought maybe it was some kind of breaded chicken tender, but made with turkey. Turns out, it's a pastry!

Prima donna - Until ten seconds ago, I would have sworn to you that it was spelled "PreMadonna" and that it meant something before 1982.

Pedantic - All I knew was that Joey learned it from the word-a-day toilet paper he got from Chandler.

Centrifugal/Centripetal Forces - I have to admit, after reading about these on Wikipedia, I'll still don't have a clue.

Pejorative - I remembered this word when I saw it on the "Prima donna" Wiki page. I thought it meant being really excited and joyful about something. I was so close!

Impressionism - I thought it was a type of painting where you only use dots. Then you zoom out and it's a real picture. Apparently, I'm not an art connoisseur.

Connoisseur - I definitely can't spell it without help. But I thought it meant an addict. Think about it... wine connoisseur, art connoisseur, food connoisseur. Wino, pretentious hippie, fat guy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't centrifugal force the reason you stay up against the wall on the Gravitron?

lindalou said...

Pre-Madonna...classic.

Unknown said...

Turkish Delight isn't a pastry. It's a jelly candy covered in powdered sugar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Delight

Taylor said...

You're right. I meant confection. I get mixed up because I'm always so excited when I talk about desserts.

Unknown said...

It's really hard to see un-visited links on your site - they're grey on blue.

A version of Turkish Delights is produced near my hometown... Aplets and Cotlets. Give them a try!

http://www.libertyorchards.com/

Taylor said...

@Jeska-

I know, the links are gray and I've changed every setting they give me to try and fix it. But nothing works. Sorry.