Friday, February 12, 2010

No Funny Story Today

My son has been sick lately. He's had a sore throat and a horrible-sounding cough, and he's especially sick in the morning. So when he wakes up each day, we give him Children's Motrin and a glass of water for his throat. He takes both gratefully and then goes back to sleep.

Well, my uncle passed away last night because of cancer, and my son asked us why we were all so upset. I think his exact words were, "I'm sorry you're crying. What happened?" And this is the first time we've had to try to explain death to him without actually explaining it. So we told him that my uncle got really sick and then he didn't ever get any better. And my wonderful, innocent son said, "They didn't give him enough medicine and water?" It was the sweetest and saddest thing I've ever heard. Some things just give you such a great perspective. And I'm so thankful for the family I have.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathies on your uncle's passing. I have to say, though, that your son's statement was the cutest ever. Children do have a marvelous way of getting to the heart of things, don't they?

Anonymous said...

My gosh! sympathies on your uncle's passing and I hope your son feels better.

Just wanted to let you know I responded to your cakewrecks post and tried to describe the picture for you.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/S3M1vAjIXjI/AAAAAAAAHHI/Iu6i5_4kxtk/s1600-h/Carrie+M+.+ow+.+30+year+old+cake.JPG

don't know if this link will work, either. but you can try

-lisa- said...

My goodness - I'm very sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. It sometimes is tough to explain death to ourselves much less little ones. I hope your son gets better soon and you're right, it was a very sweet and sad thing to say all rolled into one.

lindalou said...

How sweet is that little boy. I hope he feels better soon.

Bekah said...

I'm sorry about your Uncle. We are praying for your family. I'm dreading the day when I have to explain death to my child. But it seems like 'your son' took it well. :) He's too cute.