Monday, February 15, 2010

That Familiar Buzz

I went three days without caffeine. It wasn't on purpose. I'm out of town, there's no coffee-maker here, and I didn't have a moment to spare for a trip to the convenience store for a blue Rockstar energy drink. Until about two hours ago. So now I feel alive again. My heart is racing like it's supposed to, I have to use the bathroom every 15 minutes like normal, and I'm just jittery enough to help me type faster. Man, it feels good to be back.

I realize that it's sad that my body needs caffeine this bad. Addictions are generally frowned upon. But if I'm gonna be addicted to something, I'm glad I picked something that's a) legal, b) available, and c) cheap. The thing that's actually sad to me is that I was able to go through all the withdrawals of going cold turkey in just 72 hours. I had the headaches, the mood swings, and the sensitivity to light. I've never had a hangover, but I assume it's a lot like quitting caffeine.

But again, I feel brand new now. I hear a gentle buzzing in my ears and I'm contemplating doing a push up (no, just the girl kind). I think Kenneth from 30Rock said it best... "It feels like my heart is trying to hug my brain!"

1 comment:

-lisa- said...

My addiction is similar to yours in that it's legal, available & cheap. Mine is coke. Not that kind silly - that's not legal. I meant coca-cola. And please don't forward the email comparing water to coke or feel obligated to tell me the government uses coke to clean off vehichle batteries. I got that one already....