Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It Figures

So as it turns out, it's not as much fun driving a 1993 Acura Legend as I thought it was. I don't mind the shimmying when I stop because it feels like a gentle massage. And I don't mind the speakers being blown because I should probably lower my volume most of the time anyway. But the problem with driving a car that hasn't run in over a year is that the safety inspection sticker and state registration sticker have both been expired for over a year. And when your car has two plainly-visible expiration dates on the windshield as you drive past a patrolling officer on the highway, he sees them. And he pulls you over. And he doesn't care that you just got the car working a week ago. That doesn't impress him at all. And he doesn't care that you can't afford the repairs needed to get it inspected. And he gets upset that you haven't updated the address information on your license in two years. And he definitely doesn't cut you a break. Because, obviously, anyone who can afford the luxury of a 1993 Acura Legend can surely afford to fix the car up and pay for three traffic citations.

So I guess this is what I get for bragging about my car yesterday. I got cocky because my wife didn't have to drive me to work anymore. So Karma needed to put me back in my place. Pride comes before the fall, so they say. And I know that now.

So does anyone know of a state inspection place in Texas that will pass a car with a broken turn signal, a partially-shattered windshield, and three maintenance lights flashing on the dashboard? Because I could really use a place like that.

No comments: