Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's All About Sacrifice

Two nights ago, I played a video game with one of my older brothers for eight and a half hours. We played an hour before dinner and then straight through from 9:30pm to 5:00am. And because of the advent of today's online technologies, he didn't have to deal with my body odor, and I didn't have to deal with his heavy breathing (just kidding… I could hear his breathing on my headset). And we had a blast. But the catch is that I looked and felt like death yesterday (unshaven, dark circles under my bloodshot eyes, and muscle cramps in my trembling hands). I knew I'd regret staying up six hours past my bedtime, but I always seem to forget how bad it is to be that tired until it actually happens.

So what I did yesterday to combat the sleepiness was drink a week's supply of blue Rockstars and take frequent bathroom breaks to splash water on my face. But at about 2:30, I hit a wall. I couldn't stop rubbing my eyes and I found myself breathing with my mouth open (like one of my older brothers when he plays video games online).

Sidenote: I just reread those last two paragraphs, and it sounds like the beginning of a story about how I started abusing amphetamines.

Anyway, I made it through the rest of the day without keeling over or taking a nap. And I'm really proud of that. In fact, I felt so good that I stayed up until midnight playing even more last night. And in case you're wondering, yes… that game is Halo: Reach. And it's awesome.

No comments: