Monday, January 18, 2010

Can't Get You Outta My Head

I started singing "I Fought the Law" in my head this morning (because of this) and then realized that I only know that one main line. So naturally, it's stuck in my head for the rest of the day. And I will be fighting it will a barrage of songs from my iPod, using the "Shuffle Songs" approach, to no avail. It will take root in my brain and begin pushing out memories from elementary school (Goodbye Wall-ball tournament in 4th grade recess!) Then I'll start putting other words to the tune of "I Fought the Law" ("I bought some gum, but it's... all gone!"). So by the end of the day, I'll be certifiably insane.

But there's something else that makes all this even worse. When I was in high school, I got a song stuck in my head called "I'm in a Hurry" by Alabama. And I didn't love the song, but I didn't hate it either. It just got stuck one day, and I couldn't shake it. Hours became days, days became weeks. I tried everything I'd ever heard of to get it out of my head. I even did a Google search for ideas. But nothing worked. Finally, after literally weeks, I was blessed with a memorable event that drove it out of my mind (my dog died). But now, every time I get a song stuck in my head or a friend says they have a song stuck in their head, I start singing "I'm in a Hurry." It's horrible. Oh great... now I'm melding "I Fought the Law" and "I'm in a Hurry" in my head. And of course, the main lines for the songs just have to rhyme!

"I'm in a hurry to get things done.
I fought the law, and the... law won!"

Somebody help me, I... can't stop!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps today's Woot shirt will help: http://shirt.woot.com/

Taylor said...

Oddly enough, that's what got the song stuck in my head to begin with.