Monday, February 1, 2010

Wanna Bet?

I don't gamble. I don't bet. I don't wager. I don't put money on stuff. (However, I do own a thesaurus.) I won't go into all the reasons why I don't gamble. That's boring stuff for a blog post. But sometimes I'm a little fuzzy on what is considered gambling.

Well, today I was arguing with my older brother about how much water a person is supposed to drink. I said that the rule of eight glasses a day is fine for everyone. But apparently, my brother's friend said that you divide your weight by 2 and that's how many ounces you have to drink. So, that means I'd have to drink 138 ounces of water in a day. (And for those of you who didn't already do the math, that means I weigh 276 pounds.) And that's roughly nine bottles of water (eight more than I have ever drank in one day).

So my brother claims that the only reason I disagree is because I hate water. That I prefer coffee, Diet Coke, or any other beverage that has a taste to it. And while this is true, it's not the reason I disagree with the body weight water consumption formula. So he said he'd give me 5 dollars if I drank 5 bottles of water today. And he's providing the water. So that's not gambling, in my opinion. I don't stand to lose anything, and it all depends on my activity, not the roll of a dice. Plus, I really like free stuff, like money and water. So I'm gonna do it. And I'm probably gonna wet my pants.

And here are two quotes about gambling that I remembered that I think are hilarious:

Pam (on The Office): "I suggest we flip a coin. But Angela said she doesn't like to gamble. Of course by saying that, she was gambling that I wouldn't smack her."

Mitch Hedburg: "I love Blackjack. But I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that office quote.

-lisa- said...

Love The Office and love Mitch Hedburg so you can't go wrong with those quotes.

And you are correct - what you are doing is not gambling. It's being smart in these economic times by taking advantage of opportunities that are given to you. Hats off to you for being so bold!