Thursday, January 13, 2011

Because I'm Worth It!

I got in a ridiculous argument with my wife last night.  I'll explain it in a completely unbiased way so you can decide on your own whose side you're on.  We went to Target to pick up some household essentials (soap, shampoo, Double Stuf Oreos) and I remembered I was about to run out of deodorant.

Flashback Backstory!
Six months ago, in the name of saving money in every way to benefit my family's financial situation, I switched deodorant.  My wife found out I was spending about four dollars for each stick of deodorant and "we" decided that was too much.  So I switched from Gillette to Right Guard.  And I noticed during that time that the last few hours of the day are a little challenging for me, scent-wise.  I've had to mask my musk with cologne if we ever leave the house after 5:00pm because Right Guard seems to lack the staying power Gillette provides.

Flashforward Currentstory!
So I decided to start using Gillette again, and I figured my better half would agree that it was worth the extra $1.50 per month (that's $18 annually) to smell good all day, everyday.  But I was wrong.  My wife was absolutely furious when she looked at our receipt (I'm exaggerating).  She launched herself into a profanity-laced tirade that shook the very fiber of my being (I'm really exaggerating now).  She got so mad that she hit me with our car (Is anyone even reading this anymore?).

Okay, but really, she said, "Your deodorant costs four dollars?  That's ridiculous!"  And I thought it was strange that I was trying to convince my own wife that $1.50 per month (that's 37.5 cents per week) was worth a better smelling me.  Shouldn't she be trying to convince me to smell better?

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

If you want, I can send you some coupons. Maybe I'll find one for $.50 which you can double for $1.00 off. That will be just an extra $.50 per month. That's a great savings. Your wife would be so impressed!

Leah Hollett said...

Ask her how much her mascara costs...

Taylor said...

Nice try, Kathleen! You can't have my address! You sneaky followers!

jenny Murff said...

Why were y'all buying that stuff at Target?? They are the most expensive on almost any given product. And Kathleen is right, with coupons you can get deodorant free sometimes. :)

Taylor said...

Actually, Leah, that's where I don't have a leg to stand on. My wife spends about 65 cents on makeup annually. I'm not really sure how she does it. Maybe she's using the same coupons Kathleen is.

DD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DD said...

T-
One of us (and I'm not saying who-oo) in our house has the same problem. And your wife is right. The price for the 'clinical' strength deodorant, even with a coupon, is crazy expensive. What you need to do is take a trip over to Big Lots. It's hit or miss some days, but believe me, it's worth it. We (again, not saying who) get the clinical strength stuff (Dry Idea is the best in my opinion) there and never spend more than $2.50 a bottle. Or is a tube? Container? It ends up being cheaper than the regular stuff.