Thursday, June 17, 2010

Crash Course

Yesterday, I saw a left-turn light turn yellow when I was coming up to it.  And it was one of those times where you're not sure if you can make it so you go anyway and count on the fact that the people who get the next green light aren't gonna hit you since they have to wait a second before it turns green.  So really, I was counting on their not being a cop in the vicinity.  What I didn't count on was that the guy in front of me would come to a complete stop as soon as it turned yellow.  He had a good 5 seconds of time he could have gone before breaking any laws.

So I slammed into the back of him.  Okay, not really.  But it was pretty close.  My Grand Caravan Corvette screeched to a halt about 6 inches from his bumper.  And I'll take my part of the blame for that.  I should have been paying better attention to the car in front of me than the light in front of him.  But this guy was a horrible driver.  I got stuck behind him for another half-mile after the light finally turned green.  And he was going about 10 under the speed limit and looked like he could barely understand how a vehicle worked.  I'm pretty sure my son would drive better.

There seem to be a lot of bad drivers in my area.  And I found out last night that I'm one of them.  I was helping my wife figure out what to play on Words with Friends on her iPhone at a red light.  The light turned green, so I went.  And because I wasn't really looking, I inadvertently went when the light next to me turned green.  So I almost hit a guy turning in front of me.

So to sum up, I thought that the idiot in front of me was an idiot.  Then I was the idiot later in the day.  Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Landry said...

At least you didn't turn left into oncoming traffic, then jump a massive median to correct the situation.