Thursday, June 10, 2010

Is There A Manly Fairy?

Knowing you're in your last days at a job is very liberating.  I don't have the pressure of trying to impress anyone anymore.  And there are limited repercussions for a slower performance.  My employer knows I'm searching for a new job and since I'm being laid off, they're very understanding of that process.  So there's a considerable drop in the amount of work I'm expected to do now.  And that's kinda nice.

The downside is that I'm having to fight off a lot of impulses that I've never had before.  I've found myself wanting to sit down in the elevator just to see what people will do.  And I really want to start passing out my leftover office supplies like a giant Supply Fairy (or the manly equivalent of a fairy).  And as I was walking down the hall a few minutes ago, I was only barely able to stop myself from pulling the fire alarm.  It was a little scary when I consider how close I actually came to doing it.  Only two things stopped me: 1) no matter how upset I am about being laid off, my coworkers don't deserve that and 2) I don't want to walk down four flights of stairs and go outside (it hit 93 degrees today).

But the one bold thing I allowed myself to do was talk back to the big boss that I'm scared of.  He said something in our weekly meeting yesterday that I happened to know was incorrect.  So for the first time ever, I spoke up and told him the way it really was.  I wasn't rude (I'm not crazy), but I made my points clear and made a suggestion for how to proceed.  The (slightly) good news is that my suggestion included extending my position for a week, and he agreed to it.  So my job is still over this month, but now I'm being laid off on the 25th instead of the 18th.  Go me.

2 comments:

thisamericantourist said...

When I thought I was going to drop out of college, I burned my parking pass. When it turned out that I wasn't going to drop out of college, just change majors, I stood in line for nearly an hour, waiting to pay for a replacement. In this, discretion is a virtue. And look! It got you a tiny silver lining!

Jenny Murff said...

An extra week?!? Maybe you can talk back again next week... :)